It is believed that the man was already using wood to build rudimentary shelters in prehistoric times.
Wood has proven to be an extraordinary material for the construction of perfectly resistant houses, hygroscopic (it controls humidity to offer a pleasant and comfortable climate), easy to maintain, and less expensive than houses made of other materials such as concrete, bricks, metals, among others.
We, at Carolina Custom Homes, a recognized leader in the construction and remodeling of custom homes, tell you why a sustainable wooden house is the best option.
Sustainable house? Know 6 reasons to choose wood for your construction project
- A wooden house is sustainable because: it is a renewable natural resource, and for some time a series of programs have been implemented to carry out the felling in a controlled and rational way. For each felled tree, several others are planted, giving life to new forests of trees.
- Wooden houses have great insulation capacity: it efficiently manages to acclimatize the cooling or heating in a house, if applicable, to maintain the ideal climate, minimizing the emission of toxic vapors and saving up to 50 or 60% in bills of energy for a year, while working as an acoustic insulator.
- Wood is biodegradable, recyclable, and reusable, as well as beautiful: it is true that a house built with wood catches fire easily, but at the same time it creates an insulator by itself which is coal, so a wooden house is resistant before a fire. Wood is light but very hard, it withstands earthquakes very well.
- Quick and dry construction: building wooden houses is a process where the use of water is zero, resulting in water and energy savings. In the same way, building a house with wood is much faster than making it with bricks and concrete, since it can be worked in a workshop and then be taken to the construction site.
- Building houses with wood is a symbol of comfort and health benefits: wood’s elasticity makes it an acoustic insulator that favors comfort in the room, and because of its natural condition to adapt to climate and maintain it, it becomes a powerful weapon to alleviate stress, insomnia and offers a comfortable and pleasant environment to its inhabitants. Also, due to its porosity, it also removes gas and harmful particles from its interior.
- Versatility gives wood multiple constructive possibilities: construction works adapt to all imaginable designs, textures, and beautiful finishes. It is perfect for fast construction systems with no time, water, and energy consumption and it’s less costly overall. In the same way, lighter and more uncomplicated foundations can be obtained with wood. Additionally, it does not generate garbage once the project is finished since this material is recyclable.
Wooden houses are the hope for a healthy planet
Our planet needs today more than ever that we have an ecological conscience. The sustainability of wood is the alternative solution to climate change.
Carolina Custom Homes has the knowledge and experience to advise you on everything related to your wood construction project.