It is without question that the construction sector was negatively affected during 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The necessary safety protocols in the workplace, the need to work remotely, the late availability of materials, and even the flow of cash for payments and purchases were the main cause of the negative impact suffered by this industry.
Nevertheless, 2021 promises to be a year of big changes and progress for the construction sector which will undoubtedly generate an important recovery and will also mark a before and after in everything related to construction matters.
We, at Carolina Custom Homes, show you today the trends that will dominate the construction industry in 2021.
7 trends that will dominate the construction industry in 2021
- Non-residential constructions expansion: according to a survey conducted by Dodge Data and Analytics those types of constructions plummeted by 31% during June and July of 2020 whereas residential projects increased by 26,6% despite the health emergency. For this reason, those big pending projects are expected to be steadily reinitiated in 2021 since they were never abandoned but instead were waiting to get the green light to be restarted.
- Biosecurity: this is definitely the trend that will govern the complete construction industry during 2021 due to the pandemic. Minimizing the risk of getting infected by Covid-19 will no longer be a concern, but rather the new approach will be focusing on complying with safety protocols in every project such as: promoting physical distancing among the members of the staff, assigning different work shifts, optimization of disinfecting protocols, establishing the use of biosecurity gears for each worker,
- Remote technology: the implementation and use of new technologies to increase production have been happening for a long time, and the construction sector has actively been part of it.
For instance, drones have been incorporated in almost every project in the construction industry which signifies a big leaped towards the growth and development of it. A view from above offers invaluable information to contractors, resulting in substantial savings and accuracy in information related to safety, as well as being able to simplify the workload for the staff, the management of materials, and many other relevant tasks.
We are paving the way to what we may call the robotization of the construction industry.
- BIM and VDC, designed technology: even though this technology was being used before the pandemic, it will continue trending in 2021. The virtual design of a construction project, before and after its execution, is always interesting and innovative with proven results.
- Constructions with living material: this technology is relatively new, however, it will trend this year since besides being eco-friendly it’s also portable, strong, and light. It is incredibly made out of living organisms like fungi and bacteria.
Some of the most widely used living materials are self-healing concrete, which is basically bacteria-filled concrete that multiplies to refill and repair damages, and mycelium compounds, a large red of fungi living underground of which materials for insulation and soil are set to be produced.
- 3D impression technology: this is one of the technologies that will strongly experience an increase in 2021 due to its ability to reduce dramatically the number of workers needed in a construction project. It is a large nozzle that according to a pre-established design pours concrete into vertical piles.
- Variation in the acquisition of materials plus work pauses: the instability for obtaining materials that have been happening since 2020 due to the health emergency is expected to continue this year as well.
The commercial relations and loyalty to certain companies will cease to exist, and this time materials will have to be found in generally more expensive ways for the development of a construction project. Also, interruptions during the execution of the project seem here to stay, unfortunately.
Take all the necessary precautions from now on if you’re planning on initiating a construction project soon
Having clear predictions of what might occur in the future is impossible, but we can start planning any construction project by taking into consideration all the trends for this year.
We want you to feel supported, and if you need advice we will gladly assist you with it. Contact us; we have skilled personnel ready to help you with your construction project.