With the cold temperatures we have been having, I have heard about pipes freezing and breaking. What can I do to prevent this from happening at my house?
The following is a list of things that you can do to prevent frozen pipes at your house:
- Check and make sure that exposed pipes (i.e under your porch and in your garage), are insulated.
- Buy insulating cups for your outside hose bibs. These can be purchased at any big box retail store.
- If open, close your crawl space vents and keep them closed all winter.
- Disconnect landscape hoses from outside hose bibs.
- If you have a well, make sure your well pipes are insulated or you have an insulating cover.
- If you are going out-of-town and anticipate extreme cold weather while gone, shut off the main water supply to your house to prevent flooding in the event a pipe does freeze and burst.